Loving Your Friend Through Cancer:
The diagnosis of cancer can be devastating. How do we come alongside a friend who is suffering with cancer in practical ways? Today, Marrissa Henley joins Karen Hodge to share about her battle with cancer and those who fought with her by encouraging her to keep her eyes on Jesus. She gives us practical ways we can minster to the body, mind, and spirit of those walking through the shadow of death.
- Describe your first reaction when someone you know is diagnosed with cancer? Have you ever struggled to know how to respond?
- As a part of the Body of Christ, how does a cancer diagnosis affect the whole body?
- Galatians 6:2 talks about bearing one another’s burdens. How can your community share the burden of another’s cancer?
- Marissa described cancer as a “full time job you didn’t want,” and she shared that one way her friends came around her was by reaching out without requiring a response. What are some of the challenges a person suffering with cancer might face? How would responding to people’s kindnesses be a burden to someone with cancer?
- Marissa talks about both the community and the isolation she experienced with cancer. How does she counsel us to listen as we allow our friend with cancer to share authentically about her fears, emotions, and challenges? Should we be quick to offer advise or try to identify the struggle with one of our own?
- How are empathy and time important in really loving someone with cancer well?
Don’t miss an episode:
You can listen to our podcasts on a variety of platforms such as iTunes, iTunes mobile app, “Podcasts,” or, if you are on Android, a good app we recommend is “Pocket Casts” or you can click this podcast RSS feed link and select your podcast app.
While you can look up any show and listen to episodes on-demand, subscribing to enCourage Podcast is the best way to make sure you never miss a new show. Once you’re subscribed to a podcast, your chosen app (ITunes, etc.) will alert you when a new episode is available – and you also can download episodes to listen to them offline. If you don’t have the app, you can stream the podcast directly from this site anytime.
About the Speaker:
Marissa Henley is a Christ-follower, wife, mom, and survivor of a rare cancer who lives in Northwest Arkansas. As an author and speaker, she shares her story of God’s faithfulness and seeks to encourage weary women to hope in Christ alone. She wrote Loving Your Friend through Cancer because she wants all women facing cancer to receive the same type of amazing support that she received. She believes that when friends understand the unique physical, logistical, emotional and spiritual needs of cancer patients, they are equipped to prayerfully take action and provide compassionate support. Most days, you’ll find her drinking a latte while shuttling her three kids around town, wondering if the dog will ever learn to stay and if she’ll ever love cooking as much as her husband loves eating. She would love to connect with you on social media or at www.marissahenley.com.
Connect to CDM Women’s Ministry Resources:
Encouraging the enCourage Team:
Leave an iTunes review. These are huge for us! The more reviews, the greater chance another woman in need of encouragement will find us.
Like PCA enCourage Women on Facebook for the latest updates and related information.
Let us know your thoughts! We’d love to hear more about how God is encouraging you to live the gospel in your daily life. Shoot us an email or find us on social media.
Tell others. We truly hope this podcast is a source of encouragement – we’d be honored if you shared and encouraged others to listen in.