Helping Women Grow in Emotional Wholeness and Displace Relational Idols with Christ’s Love
Relationships can be sticky. It can be easy to seek security and identity in our relationships instead of running to Christ, but they will always disappoint. In this episode, Ellen Dykas joins Karen Hodge to discuss how we can replace relational idols with Christ’s love. Join Ellen as shares about a woman whose journey to wholeness was born out of the devastating betrayal of her husband, and hear how God answered her cry.
- Why is it so easy to look to people to meet our needs instead of Christ?
- Think about a time when you were deeply disappointed or even outright wounded by someone who failed to meet your expectations. Did that situation make you run to Christ? Why or why not?
- Do you feel like you have ever been a relationship that crossed over into idolatry? Are you in one now?
- Describe someone you know who has a oneness with Christ? How do you see her find her security and identity in Christ? How do you see her run to Christ in times of trouble?
- Ellen mentioned Ps 50:14-15. Read that verse and discuss how God promises to respond to those who cry out to Him?
Don’t miss an episode:
You can listen to our podcasts on a variety of platforms such as iTunes, iTunes mobile app, “Podcasts,” or, if you are on Android, a good app we recommend is “Pocket Casts” or you can click this podcast RSS feed link and select your podcast app.
While you can look up any show and listen to episodes on-demand, subscribing to Encourage Podcast is the best way to make sure you never miss a new show. Once you’re subscribed to a podcast, your chosen app (ITunes, etc.) will alert you when a new episode is available – and you also can download episodes to listen to them offline. If you don’t have the app, you can stream the podcast directly from this site anytime.
About the Speaker:
Ellen Mary Dykas serves as Women’s Ministry Director for Harvest USA, a national ministry focused on gospel centered sexuality. Ellen received her MA Biblical Studies from Covenant Seminary in 1999, and served for many years in missions. She lives in Philadelphia and is a member of New Life Dresher PCA. She delights to teach God’s word and to disciple women towards intimacy with Christ and to equip them for lives of ministry. Ellen blogs for Harvest USA at www.harvestusa.organd has written numerous articles on relationships and sexuality. She co-wrote Harvest’s women’s workbook, Sexual Sanity for Women: Healing from Sexual and Relational Brokenness.
Connect to CDM Women’s Ministry Resources:
Encouraging the enCourage Team:
Leave an iTunes review. These are huge for us! The more reviews, the greater chance another woman in need of encouragement will find us.
Like PCA enCourage Women on Facebook for the latest updates and related information.
Let us know your thoughts! We’d love to hear more about how God is encouraging you to live the gospel in your daily life. Shoot us an email or find us on social media.
Tell others. We truly hope this podcast is a source of encouragement – we’d be honored if you shared and encouraged others to listen in.